FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sun Jun 28 17:02:42 UTC 2009

Rahul, I question the point of ... making laundry lists of pros, cons, bugs
of desktop X vs Y...  I'm sure folks can come up with a similar list of
gnome (or other) related negative items, or kde-only features too but I
question it's constructiveness.

My only comments here:

1.  The desktop spin *is* gnome for cryin out loud.  Seriously, common sense
is just screaming in my head to call a spade a spade.

2.  A bigger question to me is what does it mean to be the "default"
desktop.  All this "it's the default because..." comments make me wonder if
folks are just grasping for reasons to justify the status quo.  Where or how
is this documented anywhere?  If it isn't, shouldn't it be?

I'd love to be wrong, but I bet being able to make a compelling and
definitive justification is going to be *hard*.

And, the answers to these questions will only get more important over time,
it seems, as more and more viable alternatives arise (within Fedora), like
sugar, XFCE, LXDE, etc...

Hopefully it won't end up being something like: "... because The Board or
FESCo says so", which is fine... it's close to honest (as I see it), but
would be largely unsatisfying.

-- Rex