FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 28 19:01:20 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com>:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 03:09:26PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Niels Haase wrote:
>> > GNOME & KDE - official support from fedora (first class citizen)
>> > XFCE - spin only (second class citizen)
>> > LXDE - remix only (third class citizen)
>>
>> It's actually worse than that:
>> GNOME - presented on the main download page (first class citizen)
>> KDE - hidden behind a pointless extra link (second class citizen)
>
> The reality is that KDE *is* a second class citizen in Fedora - it
> doesn't get anywhere near the attention that Gnome does.

Thanks, but i think everybody knows that very well.

> (And if KDE developers are failing to get involved in Fedora because of
> the layout of the download page, then I think there are larger
> problems...)

The KDE SIG does a great job. We can have (and i use) always the
latest and greatest KDE releases. As we speak here KDE 4.3Beta2. To be
a first class citizen, there's no need to have more developers. More
developers would of course be fine.

It is enough to have finally a smart webpage where users can find out
what they get with every spin, so "they" can decide what will be
"their" default desktop. NOBODY out there in the wild, who maybe wants
to become a Fedora user, cares about what FESCo, The Board or anyone
else decides what's the "default desktop" is. If you think that having
more developers and treat people like they are dumb is the better way,
then you're wrong. The only thing you get with that behavior is, you
will loose your userbase.

There's as always more than one way. "We" can help them with a proper
webpage or we can let them go to other Distros where they get the
information to decide what they want.

It is not too hard to understand what's the part of a webpage. At
least i thought so. But maybe i'm wrong and the downloadpage is just
for "some" measuring. Would be sad.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium