FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 13:41:45 UTC 2009

On Saturday, June 27 2009, Kevin Kofler said:
> * fixing comps so task-oriented groups like "Sound&Video" aren't biased
> towards GNOME apps (this most likely requires extending the comps format or
> having separate comps-kde and comps-gnome - I think extending the format to
> handle conditionals based on the desktop selected via radiobutton would be
> the more maintainable solution in the long run): where I'd like to get to
> is that if I select Sound&Video after having selected GNOME as the desktop,
> I get Totem and Rhythmbox by default and kdemultimedia, Amarok and Kaffeine
> as optional checkboxes, but if I select Sound&Video after having selected
> KDE as the desktop, I get kdemultimedia, Amarok and Kaffeine by default and
> Totem and Rhythmbox as optional checkboxes,

fwiw, concrete discussions on how to actually improve comps so that it
scales to the order of magnitude more packages + many many many more use
cases we have are welcome.  We had a long discussion about it at the
FUDCon in January, but no one was really happy with the idea we came up
with (as it introduced new problems and didn't solve all the existing
ones) and so we continue to live with where we are.

Jeremy