KSplice in Fedora?

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 00:38:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:19:53PM +0000, Christopher Brown wrote:
> >I understand Microsoft has patented this technology so it is currently
> >no-go for inclusion.
>
> [jwboyer at hansolo ~]$ koji latest-pkg dist-f11 ksplice
> Build                                     Tag                   Built by
> ----------------------------------------  --------------------
>  ----------------
> ksplice-0.9.7-3.fc11                      dist-f11              s4504kr
> [jwboyer at hansolo ~]$ koji latest-pkg dist-f11 fedora-ksplice
> Build                                     Tag                   Built by
> ----------------------------------------  --------------------
>  ----------------
> fedora-ksplice-0.5-5.fc11                 dist-f11              s4504kr
> [jwboyer at hansolo ~]$
>
> josh

Then Linux shouldn't be compiled using kmods and instead as a
monolithic binary, since kernel modules fall under the patent.
Besides, there are tons of prior art on it. KSplice is a good
technology that could possibly be integrated in. fedora-ksplice is
only build scripts for the kernel it looks like. ksplice
is there as a package, but what about the GNOME frontend? The screenshot for
ksplice in Ubuntu looks like PackageKit, so maybe it would be possible to
integrate ksplice into PackageKit/yum so that rebooting for updates would be
unnecessary.