KSplice in Fedora?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 09:40:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 19:38 -0500, King InuYasha wrote:

> Then Linux shouldn't be compiled using kmods and instead as a
>  monolithic binary, since kernel modules fall under the patent.
>  Besides, there are tons of prior art on it. KSplice is a good
>  technology that could possibly be integrated in. fedora-ksplice is
>  only build scripts for the kernel it looks like. ksplice  is there as
>  a package, but what about the GNOME frontend? The  screenshot for

The frontend is Ksplice Inc's Uptrack service, not ksplice. The
installable bits of Uptrack seem to be GPLv2 (only the artwork has an
exception which is fair enough). I couldn't find any of the backend bits
available for download though and as others have pointed out in this
thread there's still the problem of making ksplice fit in with Fedora's
approach to kernel updates (to be honest, I think it'd be a lot easier
to run a service like this for RHEL or CentOS particularly if you're
only interested in selected security errata).

Regards,
Bryn.