RFC: Kernel changes that may affect desktops

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:28:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 05:48:44PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Once this code is ready I'd like to change the kernel defaults to allow
>> this. The problem is that this will cause a reduction in functionality
>> for desktops that don't have this integration. How should this kind of
>> situation be handled?
>
>You have to tell us what we need to change in KDE and give us the necessary
>time to adapt, even if it means you have to wait for Fedora 13 to push this
>change.

I think the words you have choosen here are too strong.  There is no current
policy or requirement that requires that.

I will certainly agree that it would be _better_ to coordinate among the
DEs, and even possibly say it's preferred.  But there is nothing that says
they have to do that or wait for other DEs to catch up.

josh