Google Summer of Code 2009 - Call for Ideas

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Mar 1 03:05:40 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009 09:48:54 Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> RPM Fusion currently discusses some of it's goals for the near and long
>   term future: http://rpmfusion.org/Goals (still a draft) In that
> discussion the idea came up if some of the ideas could get realized as
> GSoC project.
>
> Which lead to the question: Should/Could RPM Fusion apply as project
> itself and mentor students or would it be better for everyone (Google,
> Fedora, RPM Fusion) if we'd try to get the ideas realized within the
> Fedora project GSoC efforts even if Fedora only benefits from the
> results indirectly when people use RPM Fusion?
>
> Example: One project could be: Port jockey (; see
> https://launchpad.net/jockey and
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/screenshots/jockey/ ) to Fedora and
> fully use it in RPM Fusion. Jockey itself is GPL, but it's only of
> interest for things that are in RPM Fusion and hence is better dealt
> with and shipped in RPM Fusion.

RPM Fusion could apply as an independent organization.  I do not know how well
the Google team would welcome it.  There is nothing that would explicitly
prevent Fedora from accepting and mentoring projects for the benefit of RPM
Fusion, as long as those projects otherwise meet the requirements of the SoC.
I guess it is up to the RPM Fusion team to decide whether or not to apply as a
mentoring organization.  If RPM Fusion does not participate as an
organization, then we can discuss feeding RPM Fusion projects through Fedora's
participation.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com