Ready for new RPM version?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 20:28:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:54:36 -0500, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:

> > It would be nice to have everyone who works on Rawhide, work *from*
> > Rawhide. I suspect this would make people generally less keen to break
> > stuff. =)
>
> That's precisely why it's not practical to use Rawhide as a day-to-day
> platform. I know others will disagree and that's fine, but I long since
> switched back to a stable Fedora 9/10 setup. It's tough enough ever
> getting a rawhide that will install, let alone not break randomly.

Are you talking to me, Jon? My desktop was Rawhide for years.

The main reason being, it's impossible to get anything fixed in stock
Fedora, with good approximation (unless the problem is declared
"security"). Sometimes it happens, but the bug has to be an eggregious
show-stopper that affects thousands of users. Anything smaller will
be "fixed in devel". Upstream always says "try the latest git,
come back if you can reproduce it".

> KVM is great at letting one poke safely at stuff.

Only on CPUs that support it. Also it requires ungodly amounts
of RAM to be useful.

Look, I know that the security implications of using Rawhide
are scary in abstract. But I work for a company where people use
Windows for work, they use Blackberries, Linksys routers, Skype,
all sorts of dubious shit. It's not like Rawhide is any worse.

-- Pete