add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:40:01 UTC 2009

Hey,

Sorry late to the party -

2009/2/18 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 17:37 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>>
>> Bottom line is that while it's certainly within anyone's rights to add
>> their new login manager, it's also within the rights of the people
>> working on the desktop to close any bugs filed by people using
>> something else WONTFIX.
>
> I think its fair for the project to define what it takes to be a
> supported login manager, and if your login manager doesn't meet those
> requirements, then the issues don't get looked at, etc...

I think you missed Colin's point.  I won't try to repeat what he said
but I do urge you to reread his message.  I'll try to be less subtle.

Unless you want our project to be a pile of choose your own shit like
debian, you need to make choices.  The choices you need to make depend
on what you want to produce.  What you want to produce depends on who
you are making it for and what you want them to experience.

If you want to create a product that people will love to use then you
need to make tough choices and stay focused.  Without focus, Fedora
doesn't stand a chance against Ubuntu - never mind the real
competition.

The right choices made for the right reasons, components deeply and
broadly integrated, solidly engineered, well tested, highly polished.
I'd prefer to hear the technology of Fedora described in these terms.
Unfortunately, this is difficult or impossible to achieve with the
currently prevailing bag-of-loosely-coupled-packages conception of the
project.

If you intend to be just some online package repository, a build
system, a wiki, and mailing lists then sure things are working just
fine.  But to me, this is all so much asphalt without a place to go.

Jon