%config files and upgrade to F11 - consider noreplace

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Mar 2 13:22:29 UTC 2009

Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009 13:01:07 Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > Bill Crawford píše v Čt 26. 02. 2009 v 11:55 +0000:
> > >  ... and run the old checksum code on the file
> > > on the machine, before replacing it with the new file and the new hash.
> >
> > That answers the question whether the user has modified the file.  It
> > doesn't answer the question whether the packager has modified the
> > shipped file between the two rpm package versions.
>
> But that's the question we should be asking ... right?

No.

There are 3 potential files involved:

  A: The original configuration as given by the installed package
  B: The installed configuration file (as modified by the user)
  C: The new configuration file.

If B == A, rpm can safely replace the configuration file by C.
If A != B, the user changed something, and the changes have to be ported
forward by hand.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513