RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 16:05:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:36:09AM -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:04:37PM +0100, Christoph H?ger wrote:
> > This means, I am missing some channels here in good old germany (e.g. 12
> > & 13). Apparently the US domain seems to be a subset of the EU domain,
> > so I can not use channels that are prohibited by the EU domain.
> >
> > So wouldn't it make sense to ask for the current locale and set the
> > parameter in /etc/modprobe.d when updating/installing either the kernel
> > or module-init-tools?
> >

> Locale? hah. What does the language your computer presents text have to do
> with where in the world your computer is?

Nit-picker... :-)

> The channels you've listed are the world regulatory domain, a subset of
> all domains which is globally appropriate, and unlikely to cause
> problems for roaming users.
>
> Run
> 	iw reg set CA
> to set it for Canada, see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 for the appropriate two
> letter countrycode. In your case, obviously 'DE'. :)

The script I posted takes a timezone like "America/New_York" and uses
/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab to map it to an ISO-3166 Alpha2 code.
The weak-link would be if someone is using "EST5EDT" or somesuch
or is otherwise bypassing system-config-date.  Still, it is a cheap
first step that probably covers most users most of the time.

> NetworkManager can probably set this somehow as well, but I haven't
> bothered figuring out how.

It probably can and should, but I don't see NM growing such capability
in the short term.

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at redhat.com			of your literate lifestyle.