autoconf and epel-5

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:47:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Using Python is not an advantage, it's an additional dependency.
>
>> On the other side, if i build a project for multiple UNIX platform, with
>> different compiler, i prefer to use the autotools.
>
> Why? Because SCons is too limited? ;-) Try CMake. KDE is using it
> successfully with at least g++ on multiple platforms (including OS X and
> MinGW), Sun Studio on OpenSolaris and M$VC on Window$.

Not that I'm plugging this, but if you want a Python-based, but
designed for embedding, build system, Waf
(http://code.google.com/p/waf/) might be of interest. It generates a <
100k script that can be run on any system with Python installed (ok,
still a problem with Windows, but installing another Unix build system
on Windows is probably even more of a pain).

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim at cs.indiana.edu