RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 17:04:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 17:06 +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> Yeah, kindof. I did not even know there was a userspace tool to set the
> domain.
>
> From wireless.kernel.org:
>
> > You can also use the latest wpa_supplicant (as of 0.6.7) now to change
> > your regulatory domain, to do so just add a "COUNTRY=US" entry into
> > your configuration for example.
>
> If we have that opportunity then your script's logic should be added to
> networkmanager which then decides how to set the domain, right?
>
> Although NM does not have a dialog for device wide settings currently...

I was planning on pulling it either from somewhere
like /etc/sysconfig/network, or if that wasn't available, the timezone
or "nearest city" as selected in whatever map control panel your DE has.
Requires either an update to wpa_supplicant or a backport of the patches
to the supplicant for regdom support.

Dan