RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 18:52:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:46:53PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Monday, March 02 2009, John W. Linville said:

> > > I do :)  Not in the next week, but it's something NM should be doing
> > > quite soon.
> >
> > That's good news -- I didn't want to volunteer you for more work.
> >
> > Is this something we will see in F11?  In any case, I'm inclined to
> > think an init script way to set the default still makes sense...?
>
> An initscript to change it only makes sense if you enjoy slowing down
> boot ;-)   If NetworkManager is going to support setting it, then we
> should let NetworkManager set it -- if someone isn't using
> NetworkManager and is using wicd or their own homegrown scripts, then
> they can implement it there as well

Well I know that NetworkManager is the default, but we still have
ifcfg-XXX.  If they are still there, shouldn't we support them?

One option might be to add another package to crda.spec.  That package
(e.g. crda-init) could simply include an init script that looks a lot
like the script I posted earlier in the thread.  It might also provide
for a user override (e.g. something in /etc/sysconfig/regdomain).
Simple, optional, and very little work.

Listen, I'm all for NetworkManager figuring this stuff out on my box.
But I'd like a better answer than "roll your own" for those who want
to use something else.

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at redhat.com			of your literate lifestyle.