Ready for new RPM version?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Mar 3 08:46:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 22:43 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> of course if you want to run the latest prerelease kernel from git or the
> latest prerelease KDE from svn you won't find that in a stable Fedora. ;-)

Yes, you "will". As others have said, running a stable Fedora allows you
to replace just the one piece you care about today - for example newer
kernel builds. I regularly run all manner of upstream and also test
builds of RHEL-RT kernels on my laptop without worrying about whether
the reason it fails to boot is related to something I don't care about
at that particular moment[0].

Jon.

[0] I agree with the comments about initrd. I have been bitten by that
lack of including virtio modules a bunch of times recently when testing
kernels. I was asked earlier about zlib support in m-i-t and whether
anyone really cares any more. I thought not (since we have compressed
filesystems and nobody even in embedded is using compressed modules),
but perhaps there is a use case there.