RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:22:08 UTC 2009

2009/3/2 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 12:53 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>>
>> Some fallback (like an init script) should be included in any case,
>> since some installations will obviously not be using NetworkManager.
>> NM, when in use, can certainly push updated regulatory settings when
>> necessary, over and above what the init script would do.
>>
>> So we should really have both.
>
> And if the system isn't going to use wireless at all, why spend the
> bootup time to set something that will be of no use?

Why not use a udev rule? I'm not sure exactly how to match wireless
devices, but something like:

# Set regulatory domain for wireless types (ARPHRD_IEEE80211*)
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{type}=="801|802|803",
RUN+="set-wireless-domain"

What goes in /lib/udev/set-wireless-domain I have no idea.

--
Dan