PreUpgrade

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 17:53:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 17:19 +0100, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> Jon Masters pisze:
> > On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:00 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> >> I did the preupgrade anyway on my last F9 box, up to F10. The box boots,
> >> however it is missing libraries
> >
> > Also, although the release and many packages were updated to F10
> > versions, the kernel is still f9 with no sign of the F10 package.

Right - because the F9+updates kernel is newer than the F10 GA kernel.

> I suspect that the reason might be the following: f10 was released a
> good while ago, and now many f-9 packages  have higher nevr. Thus, I
> think preupgrade could benefit from a way to specify additional repos
> (as anaconda does).

Ugh. *Specifying* repos kind of defeats the purpose of PreUpgrade. I
really don't want to rewrite major chunks of UI just so people can add
whatever crazy random repos they feel like.

Instead, the next preupgrade version (in development) will just enable
the newer version of all your enabled repos. So when you upgrade you
should get all the updates, plus third-party packages too.

When I have time to test it out a bit more and release it, it should be
available for F9 and F10, allowing upgrades to F10 or F11/Rawhide.
(third-party repos might not work right when you're upgrading to
rawhide, though).

I've updated https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade a bit
to be clearer about what it's good for.

Hope that helps.