Eclipse EMF build failures on ppc64 hosts

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 18:03:35 UTC 2009

> I thought Mamoru had it correct, and the bug was in the spec: it
> declared noarch but used %_libdir, which is not valid and makes no
> sense, %_libdir being inherently arch-dependent.

A counter-argument to this that I can think of is Java bytecode.  It's
architecture-independent but an architecture-dependent package is
required to produce it.

It's the same situation here:  the Eclipse SDK has some
architecture-dependent bits (most notably SWT, the graphical toolkit)
and is thus arch-dependent yet the package in question (EMF) is pure
bytecode and is thus architecture-independent.  One solution I can think
of is to make the 'eclipse' SRPM create arch-dependent RPMs for the
arch-dependent bits and make its other RPMs noarch.  This was only
recently possible with Fedora's rpm package.

Andrew