PLEASE READ: provenpackager reseed

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 10:41:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:19:13 +0100, Ralf wrote:

> <devil's advocate>
>
> Well, with this definition, "provenpackager" is an acknowledgment of
> "technical skills",

This isn't clear to me yet. Package rebuilds in Rawhide don't need
"technical skills". It's trivial to bump Release and submit build
requests. Unless the person who does that also creates patches and
modifies packages beyond ordinary rebuild attempts. In that case, however,
I wonder where the maintainers of such packages are? Or perhaps the task
of rebuilding is considered as grunt work, and the maintainers explicitly
give their okay in private mail (or on IRC)?

What I'd like to avoid is that some people step in and hide non-responsive
maintainers by updating and upgrading packages without being an official
co-maintainer (or by rebuilding packages in Rawhide without taking care of
open bugzilla tickets).

Understanding what exactly the "provenpackager" membership is used for
would be helpful.

> while "sponsors" is a "social/political role".

Sounds questionable. In particular since sponsors must review packages of
a contributor they want to sponsor.