DeviceKit is marked complete, what about utf8

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 10 21:56:21 UTC 2009

Muayyad AlSadi wrote:
> kde people are the worst in internationalization
> I remember in kde 2.0 that they promised to fix RTL problem in KDE 3.0
> and they started to work at 3.0 but it was garbage support
> it took **years** to get them fixed till 3.5
> and when they are almost perfect in 3.5
> they drop all the RTL support

They didn't drop RTL support. In fact they actually improved it, for example
KWrite and Kate now support RTL since 4.0.

What did happen is that Plasma uses QGraphicsView which has no or broken RTL
support in Qt 4.4. This is fixed in Qt 4.5.

> just look to this game how does it behave [if you know the game]
> [screenshot from KNetWalk]

Well, I don't think the issue is apparent from a screenshot, so please
explain what's wrong.

> the Russian person who reported the bug says that he uses
>> ru_RU.cp1251 or ru_RU.koi8r
> but
> grep '^ru' /usr/share/system-config-language/locale-list
> ru_RU.UTF-8 utf8 latarcyrheb-sun16 Russian  -  Русский
> ru_UA.UTF-8 utf8 latarcyrheb-sun16 Russian (Ukraine)
>
> so it's his customization which lead to the problem not the patch

I actually agree with you there. UTF-8 should be the default everywhere, as
it is the default charset in Fedora. I think we should even consider just
dropping support for non-UTF-8 locales entirely. (In fact, that's exactly
what KDE 4 did, Solid just always forces UTF-8 when mounting volumes.)

        Kevin Kofler