Password Reset

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:10:35 UTC 2009

2009/3/10 Till Maas <opensource at till.name>

> On Mo März 9 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > So the password reset generally went off without a hitch but a lot of
> > people forgot to reset their password or just plain didn't and I'm
> > wondering if it's because of where I sent the notifications to so I
> > thought I'd ask.  Would you generally like password reset requests to go
> > to:
> >
> > username at fedoraproject.org (the alias that directs to your email addr)
> >
> > the email address we have listed
> >
> > or both?
>
> Please send it only once, I do not care to which address. But here are some
> suggestions for improvement:
>
> 1) Please use a consistent subject for these mails:
>
> February: Fedora Project Password Reset Request
> December(1): FAS Password Change Request
> December(2): FAS Password
>
> 2) The mail from 2009-02-09 only said, that the password will expire. It
> was
> not mentioned that also further action will occur, e.g. afaik the contents
> of
> fedorapeople.org where moved. E.g. I only changed my password because I
> had to
> submit a security update, but otherwise I would not have cared for an
> expired
> password, because of little available time for Fedora work right now.
> Nevertheless I would have cared about moved fedorapeople.org contents or
> missing CVS notifications.
>
> 3) A two week deadline is imho too short. It may be especially bad if the
> fedorapeople.org contents are really moved and someone who is on vacation
> hosts a shared SCM there or other contents of wide interest.
>
> Regards,
> Till
>
> --

For me, all mail with the words "password change" or "password reset" in any
combination is automatically sent to a special spam folder because I
literally get hundreds of those kinds of emails a week. It got so annoying
that I set up a filter to block it and send it out. The only reason I found
out now was because this was my monthly pruning through the spam mail day.

In the future, it would be better to set it up in the interface that when a
person logs in with an expired password, it tells you that the
aforementioned password is expired and goes to a reset prompt.