Explicit rpm requires

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Wed Mar 11 02:25:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:01:35AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > They don't want to soname bump, but they want to forcefully require the
> > exact same version compiled against is used?  Have you hit them with
> > something heavy lately?
>
> I think it's actually kst-fits which explicitly checks the version (and
> should probably be patched not to do that). I haven't seen this sort of
> problems with other cfitsio-using stuff.

No, kst-fits doesn't check.  cfitsio does it itself.  I just double
checked by compiling a test program (which just opened a fits file or
two); on the first call to a cfitsio function when I have a binary
compiled against a different version of the resident cfitsio library
cfitsio errors out with the following text:

ERROR: Mismatch in the version of the fitsio.h include file used to build
the CFITSIO library, and the version included by the application program:
   Version used to build the CFITSIO library   = 3.100000
   Version included by the application program = 3.130000

FITSIO status = 104: could not open the named file

CCFits ran into this problem a while back.  I think most programs
haven't been hit because cfitsio is updated relatively rarely.  But I'm
not 100% positive.

--
"One in every seven days is a Thursday."
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/