setup, fedora-release updates needed

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 11:59:55 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 11:27:35 Ondřej Vašík wrote:
> Package setup can't use post scriptlet (ok, maybe can use lua ... but
> it's not likely to have it there) - due to dependencies. I did
> quick&dirty way in rawhide - removing the most useless .rpmnew files in
> postun section - but user will still receive warnings about creating
> those files. AFAIK there is no other way at the moment (I requested RFE
> http://www.rpm.org/ticket/6 to have nowarn config file option) - please
> let me know if you know some way how to not bother users with
> useless .rpmnew file, but do not replace their files on update (as it
> would have horrible consequences in the case of file like /etc/passwd
> and/or /etc/shadow. Just for completeness - now it works the way that
> user/group added to default set of user/groups is created in post
> section of the ALL packages which actually need it for 2 Fedora
> releases. Worth of improvement, but don't know how to handle it better
> way for updates.

I hadn't thought about the dependencies, and you're absolutely right there. It's
always been an issue for update, anyway, so that package just needs to not
change at all, ever ;o)

Main problem, of course, is that putting all the users in separate files, or any
kind of database, would make this much much more complicated; something that
basic really does need to stay in as simple a form as possible. IMHO.