memtest86+ and grub.conf

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 13:26:48 UTC 2009

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Please discuss making any changes to grub.conf with Peter Jones
> (pjones at redhat.com) he knows grubby best. I'm not sure what to
> think about adding an option to grub.conf in general, it does
> make sorta sense when people install memtest86 to do that, but
> otoh it feels a bit wrong. I think this is best discussed on
> Fedora-devel, and then if there is consensus that adding a
> grub.conf entry is a good idea Peter Jones is the one yo ask
> technical questions about grubby.

Some background:

I initially implemented memtest86+ to automatically add itself to
grub.conf in %post.  Jeremy disliked this because it wont work during
anaconda where grub.conf did not exist at that point yet.  He suggested
just providing a script to add it to grub.conf manually, because doing
so automatically would be inconsistent.

As for your proposed build change to memtest86+, I have never seen grub
fail to boot memtest86+ in the way that you described, and also upstream
doesn't build it in that way.  Please discuss with upstream your
proposed build changes.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com