Add [fedora-student-project] keyword to Bugzilla?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Mar 11 19:37:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 12:36 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:56:39 -0400,
>   Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> >
> > Mozilla has recently added a 'student-project' keyword[0] to their
> > bugzilla to identify bugs and RFEs that are good candidates for student
> > projects -- they have a moderate scope (not trivial, but doable in a
> > month or two), they're not release-blocking, and there is an interest in
> > getting them done (the community will help with questions).
> >
> > I think this is a great idea, and propose we add a similar keyword to
> > the Fedora bugzilla (since it's also the Red Hat bugzilla, the keyword
> > should probably be 'fedora-student-project'). This would be useful for
> > schools seeking student projects[1] and helpful when putting together
> > summer coding ideas[2].
> >
> > What does the list say?
>
> It doesn't sound like the right place to me.
> I think a wiki area for new participants with links to various kinds of
> projects they might help with is a better way to direct people to things
> they can help with.
> The wiki already has a start to this where new people can categorize themselves
> and find at least some information of particular interest to them. I haven't
> followed those links very far, so i don't know what level of detail is there.

Let me expand on what I'm thinking (I'm teaching in this space):

- Having a bugzilla keyword doesn't negate the need for a wiki page, it
simply makes it easier to find ideas with which to populate the wiki
page. If you're already working in bugzilla, "add a keyword" requires a
lot less activation energy than "go to this wiki page and add a
section".

- This is different from the "good-first-bug" or "trivial" flags some
projects have -- I'm proposing this for things with a bit of meat, but
which are within the grasp of undergraduate students (though it's
incredible what some students can do in a few months).

--
Chris