F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 16:09:35 UTC 2009

> I would hope that the installer assigned a lower "cost" in yum to the
> DVD than any network repo, which would avoid this issue.
>
> Paul.

There's no reason to do that.  The DVD has exactly the same packages
as the main Fedora repository, just a subset of them.  If they are
present on the DVD, they should be used to reduce install time, I
think.  Only grab them from the main repository if they are needed but
not found on the DVD.  I think the simplest thing to do is just
automatically enable the main repository whenever the updates
repository is enabled.

Post-thought:  I'm sorry, I admit I am unfamiliar with yum's costs.
Does a lower DVD cost mean that yum prefers packages from the network
instead?  That was my assumption, and my conclusion:  if a common
package between the two is the same, use the local one. (DVD)

The idea should be to A) trust the installation media whenever you
can, and B) perform as little extra network transaction as possible
for everything else.

I'll go ahead and tell you this completely means that the
Yum-Presto-On-Install idea is absolutely worthless if you think
otherwise; the whole "use small delta packages to do a quick update at
install-time" won't be any use at all if you're just downloading every
package (that was on the DVD) from the main repository anyway.

The DVD is like a local cache, it should be used as such.