Experience and observations of F11a/rawhide so far

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora at slated.org
Mon Mar 16 14:59:40 UTC 2009

Verily I say unto thee, that Mike Chambers spake thusly:
> On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 23:22 +0000, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>> Surprisingly stable, for the most part, but with a few nasties:
>>
>> . RPM broke completely at one point (md5 mismatch errors),
>>   necessitating manual extraction from an RPM of updated components.
>>   Was there a more graceful way of handling the changeover?
>
> update rpm first, then update the rest.

The above issue occurred as a result of simply running "yum update",
since I had no advance knowledge of the md5/sha1 switchover, and
therefore it didn't occur to me to update RPM separately. I suppose I
should be tracking feature changes more closely, if I'm going to test an
alpha release, but at the moment I am rather limited to how much time I
can spend doing that.

However, this won't be an issue in the final release, since RPM will
already be updated.

>> Overall, the system felt decidedly laggy.
>
> Above may be due to certain debugging turned on during the testing to
> help solve problems found.  Might not be the reason or whole reason,
> but surely part of it anyway.

Possibly, although debugging flags didn't actually help me much in the
end, since I lost the filesystem the log files were stored on. Another
good reason to put /var on its own filesystem, even in a Desktop
environment.

--
Regards,
Keith G. Robertson-Turner