F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 16:32:52 UTC 2009

> "John J. McDonough" <wb8rcr at arrl.net> writes:
> > I'm still not convinced NetworkManager is ready for prime time.
>
> NM might be great for laptops, but it's both useless and pernicious in
> a static-IP environment.  In both F9 and F10 I've had to turn it off,
> and the single most annoying thing about it is *you can't really turn
> it off*.  There are pieces of it that keep coming to life anyway ...
> eg bz #455825 and the fact that it keeps demanding my VPN password

If NM is off, it's not going to touch your resolv.conf.  Remember,
resolv.conf can change at any time when you do stuff like turn on your
VPN.  The issue you had is no different than if you started the VPN and
your machine crashed.  On reboot, you'd be left with a non-working
resolv.conf.

> when I'm not using it to control the VPN.

Are you sure it's asking for your VPN password?  Or is it actually
asking for your gnome-keyring password because the driver has failed to
connect to your wifi AP, which means either your password is wrong or
the driver sucks?

dan