InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Ed Swierk eswierk at aristanetworks.com
Thu Mar 19 05:37:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Wow, you are using it despite the lack of cleanup?  You don't run out of
>  disk space?

Nope. So far it's using about 350GB on a 750GB disk. We've been using
FC6, F9 and F10 on i386 and x86_64, plus updates.

> Do you actually make use of the directory and filenames where it stores the
> files directly?  If not, then you will find that a reverse squid proxy cache
> works great because it cleans up after itself.

Not really, but I like being able to manage the data store manually if
I wanted to. When the day finally comes that the 750GB is exhausted,
I'll ssh to the mirrors box and type a couple of rm -rf's to free up
some space and then forget about it for another year.

> If you want to continue development of it, that would be a good idea. Sorry
> I didn't think to ask if you objected to reusing the name.  I thought the
> project was fully dead.

I don't plan to hack on the code much myself, as it already works just
fine for me. But I'm happy to host the code somewhere and help
integrate patches if other people come up with improvements.

IIRC you came up with the name InstantMirror; you're welcome to reuse it.

--Ed