InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Ed Swierk eswierk at aristanetworks.com
Thu Mar 19 05:45:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> The lack of cleanup was only one problem.  Another was it did not handle
> multiple users using it simultaneously.

It does handle multiple simultaneous users, although if the first one
to access a file happens to be really slow, it will throttle other
users downloading the same file, and if the first connection dies, it
takes the other ones down with it. This isn't an issue once the
complete file is stored in the mirror, just when fetching it from
upstream.

In practice, though, I've never encountered a problem with multiple
simultaneous users. I suspect yum's tenacious retry mechanism has
masked any glitches caused by InstantMirror.

--Ed