packaging wordpress plugins

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Fri Mar 20 05:52:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 20:18 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> We have two packages in Fedora that provide what could be considered
> WordPress core, "wordpress" and "wordpress-mu". Both store their files
> separately in /usr/share/wordpress and /usr/share/wordpress-mu. The
> plugins are installed under the wp-content/plugins directory under these
> directories.

My thinking this would need to be two-fold.

Firstly, both of these packages can provide some sort of virtual (such
as "wordpress-core" or something reasonable) so that anything which
needs "a generic wordpress installation" can run with both of them.

Then they would both need to provide an addition to the RPM macros such
as %wordpress_datadir which can be either of these two depending on the
providing package.

Secondly, a spec for a plugin file could install their contents to that
macro-ified directory, containing files section containing something to
the effect of:

%files
%{wordpress_datadir}/plugins/%{name}/
[...]