packaging wordpress plugins

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:10:03 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009 05:52:59 Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 20:18 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> > We have two packages in Fedora that provide what could be considered
> > WordPress core, "wordpress" and "wordpress-mu". Both store their files
> > separately in /usr/share/wordpress and /usr/share/wordpress-mu. The
> > plugins are installed under the wp-content/plugins directory under these
> > directories.
>
> My thinking this would need to be two-fold.
>
> Firstly, both of these packages can provide some sort of virtual (such
> as "wordpress-core" or something reasonable) so that anything which
> needs "a generic wordpress installation" can run with both of them.

That makes it impossible to switch easily just by changing config, though.

> Then they would both need to provide an addition to the RPM macros such
> as %wordpress_datadir which can be either of these two depending on the
> providing package.

That means the building environment is different depending on which you have on
the build host at the time you build the plugins ...

> Secondly, a spec for a plugin file could install their contents to that
> macro-ified directory, containing files section containing something to
> the effect of:
>
> %files
> %{wordpress_datadir}/plugins/%{name}/
> [...]

... and yes, but that means the plugins will only work with one version or the
other, and that would be a random thing at build time (depending which package
was installed to satisfy the BR: wordpress-core).

So, you need to have a way of making a single shared directory; although that
only works if the two packages are guaranteed to not introduce incompatability
with each other in whatever passes for an "ABI" :o)