preupgrade F10

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Mar 20 15:35:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 08:07 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> Right, but my comment was more geared towards the fact that installing
> from F11-Alpha and trying to run 'yum update' at one point wasn't
> possible without first running 'yum update rpm' and then 'yum update'.
> I think that is a flaw in the priority of package installation, if it
> had first checked for a new yum or new rpm package, installed those
> and then re-invoked itself then the problem would be solved.

In the rare scenario of alpha -> missed some updates -> rawhide  case,
it might help some.  In the far more common F10 -> rawhide case it
wouldn't help one bit.  Why?  Because trying to go from an out of date
F10 directly to rawhide rpm would drag in hundreds and hundreds of
packages due to deps, because python changed.  The only way around this
is to fully update your F10 with F10 updates, and /then/ proceed to
rawhide, which you can do in one full swing.

The updater updating itself and restarting doesn't really solve enough
scenarios to add in the complication and complexity and numerous new
failure cases.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!