A supposedly patent-free suggestion/solution to the curious subpixel rendering in Fedora

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sun Mar 22 22:43:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 06:18:49PM -0400, Jud Craft wrote:
> Here's the problem, stated over and over throughout bad forum posts:
> subpixel-rendering on Fedora is a little sub-par.  The chief reason
> (from my lay perspective) is that it doesn't implement the various
> cleartype-like filtering algorithms demonstrated in all sorts of
> questionable patches, due to fear of patent-infringing on Microsoft's
> Cleartype work.  This means Fedora's default subpixel-rendering is
> full of color-fringes and in general less smooth than other algorithms
> shown in (for example) Debian and Ubuntu.

  Orthogonally to your idea, I feel obliged to correct this statement.
Fontconfig configuration in Ubuntu got broken few months ago, and
last time I've checked it is still broken. Fonts rendered on Ubuntu
are colorbanded, which make them look blurry:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/fontconfig/+bug/153521

  Especially this comparison is worth looking:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24152161/jj-alpha-6.png.png
When you zoom, you will see how Fedora 10 renders crisp fonts and
Ubuntu ones are surrounded by color stripes next to vertical lines.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox