libsyncml

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 23 15:20:18 UTC 2009

Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> I would appreciate a 0.2X version of opensync. I was actually confused
> as to why Fedora went with a newer version, as their website states that
> the only good/stable version is 0.22 and that the next one will be 0.4.

Well, I'm not sure why the maintainer made the decision, but KDE 4.1 shipped
with a KitchenSync which required libopensync 0.36. Unfortunately, it
turned out to be buggy to the point of being unusable, so KDE upstream
disabled it in 4.2 (the KitchenSync code there has been ported to 0.38, but
its build has been disabled because of general brokenness), and even if we
wanted to reenable it (which I don't think we do), we'd need 0.38, so we
have no use for 0.36 anymore from the KDE/KitchenSync point of view.

I think the big problem there is that 0.40 has been promised for over a year
now (it was supposed to be released before KDE 4.0 - when KDE still planned
to ship kdepim in 4.0, libopensync upstream claimed they'd have a
libopensync 0.40 release in time for it!) and we're still stuck with buggy
development versions with APIs changing based on the phase of the moon and
plugins significantly lagging behind the main package.

        Kevin Kofler