A supposedly patent-free suggestion/solution to the curious subpixel rendering in Fedora

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:55:41 UTC 2009

But even so, if I recall correctly, wasn't it mentioned that due to
the patents, work on the bytecode interpreter actually stopped a while
back?  I figured that's why even if you enable the freetype bytecode
interpreter today, it still displays glitches in some Windows fonts.
(ex, Tahoma).

Even if the relevant patents expire, the current Freetype
implementation may not be up to snuff.  (As to whether that is an
important point for users who just "like the Windows way better",
probably not).

I haven't tried F10's freetype-freeworld, but just to be certain I
will give it a shot.  I was always under the impression that freeworld
enabled both the BCI and the patented subpixel filtering.  (Maybe I
don't remember F9 clearly enough; maybe it really didn't ship with
subpixel capability of any kind).

PS.  My confusion may result from a misconception:  I always thought
that the patented filtering was part of Freetype, and Fedora merely
disabled it downstream; now I see that perhaps Fedora always mirrored
Freetype-upstream as close as possible, and that these patches for
advanced subpixel filtering were actually always kept separate from
the main Freetype tree (but merged in by other downstreams, like
Ubuntu).