System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:38:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all (interested in system config tools;-).
> We are working on System Configurations Tools Cleanup Project we need Fedora
> community opinion on this subject.
>
> Some s-c-* tools are now very outdated, some are replaced with better
> solution, some are only used in Anaconda etc.
>
> This is a short list of application that could be eliminated/replaced/enhanced
> in short/long term from Fedora.
>
> I've prepared it simple and clean to support further discussion, maybe some
> other tool is missing...

I'm going to assume you want all discussion in this thread.

> * system-config-netboot
>  - very outdated
>  - replacements k12linux, cobbler

Kill it

> * system-config-boot
>  - at least it needs facelift and it's not very usable at all

Think there needs to be some discussion on a UI first and then out it
out there as a task that someone could pickup.

> * system-config-display
>  - xrandr should be used for resolution/dualhead configuration, Gnome & KDE
> have
>    own xrandr based display configuration tool
>  - generates xorg.conf - it's not needed anymore (only if someone needs
>    more expert configuration)

system-config-display hasn't been use other than as an xorg generator
for me for quite a few releases now. And even haven't an xorg.conf no
longer solves my problems. So might as well kill it.

> * system-config-network
>  - replacement NetworkManager
>  - missing IPv6? routing?

I don't think NetworkManager is ready yet, at least not ready to
repalce system-config-network. Just setting up LTSP, i needed
system-config-network quite a bit.

> * system-config-date
>  - Gnome/KDE/XFCE have own datetime configuration tool/module, it's confusing
> than
>    which one users should use
>  - used in firstboot or anaconda???

Assuming it is killed, what happens to firsrtboot?

> * system-config-keyboard
>  - used only in Anaconda, let it be standalone?
>  - very simple tool, Gnome/KDE have better one

No opinion.

> * system-config-httpd
>  - old GTK 1 application, should be ported to GTK 2 & PolicyKit

Think there needs to be some discussion on a UI first and then out it
out there as a task that someone could pickup.

> * switchdesk and system-switch-tools?
>  - it's possible to switch desktop in GDM/KDM
>  - one tool for switching all alternatives?

Can anyone confirm that this still actually works? I seem to remember
it not really working last time I tried it, but I am not sure.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )