System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:11:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 18:04 +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 17:38:40 Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
> > address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
> > not client configuration.  And NetworkManager works well in such a
> > setup.
>
> What happens when you replace your network card, btw?

You reassign the IP address to the new MAC address.  I use a script that
allows me to set an IP address and hostname to a MAC address with a
single command (it updates both bind and dhcpd).

At the school I work at, we used to run our network with static (set on
the client side) IP addresses.  A couple of years ago, we made the
switch over to DHCP with the "static" IP address coming from the server,
and it's made life much easier.  We've found that we image/update the
computers far more than we ever change network cards.

Jonathan