System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 24 18:21:28 UTC 2009

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> * system-config-display
>   - xrandr should be used for resolution/dualhead configuration, Gnome & KDE
> have
>     own xrandr based display configuration tool
>   - generates xorg.conf - it's not needed anymore (only if someone needs
>     more expert configuration)

At least this machine needs an xorg.conf, I think the one of my home
machines does also.

I'd vote to keep this as a tool to generate a decent starting point for
an xorg.conf that needs to be hand-edited, as opposed to having to write
one from scratch (which, frankly, sucks, especially things like getting
monitor refresh rates correct).

Bill pointed out that this is not installed by default, which is fine.
I'd say we should keep it that way; available and working for those that
need it, but not installed by default.

> * system-config-network
>   - replacement NetworkManager
>   - missing IPv6? routing?

What about machines not using NM? (Like, again, this one and one of my
home machines...) As with s-c-display, it's useful for not having to
hand-write configs (or at least to generate good starting points). It
should probably not be installed when NM is being used, though, so 'not
installed by default' except on non-NM-using spins (if there are any).

For this machine, I'm running custom ifup scripts in order to set up a
TUN bridge, so "eth0" is just the hardware with no address and the local
processes actually use br0. (tap0 is fed to qemu as a virtual hardware
device, so the box has multiple IP's, one of which is "owned" by the
VM.) Can NM handle that yet?

> * system-config-date
>   - Gnome/KDE/XFCE have own datetime configuration tool/module, it's confusing
> than
>     which one users should use
>   - used in firstboot or anaconda???

...and s-c-date conflicts with these. What manages the ntp service? I
don't think I've had any luck with the KDE date config working correctly
at system level, which means if s-c-date went away I'd have to manage
the date/time on my machine(s) at CLI level and by editing ntpd.conf by
hand.

--
Matthew
  ,= ,-_-. =.    Freedom to Use