System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:03:54 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com>:
> Hi all (interested in system config tools;-).
> We are working on System Configurations Tools Cleanup Project we need Fedora
> community opinion on this subject.
>
> Some s-c-* tools are now very outdated, some are replaced with better
> solution, some are only used in Anaconda etc.
>
> This is a short list of application that could be eliminated/replaced/enhanced
> in short/long term from Fedora.
>
> I've prepared it simple and clean to support further discussion, maybe some
> other tool is missing...
>
> * system-config-netboot
>  - very outdated
>  - replacements k12linux, cobbler

could be removed.

> * system-config-boot
>  - at least it needs facelift and it's not very usable at all
>
> * system-config-display
>  - xrandr should be used for resolution/dualhead configuration, Gnome & KDE
> have
>    own xrandr based display configuration tool
>  - generates xorg.conf - it's not needed anymore (only if someone needs
>    more expert configuration)

or someone has issues with the automatic detection or wants to use
nvidia binary drivers (which have a file overlay). or needs to switch
driver to vesa if drivers are broken or or or or... i wouldnt call
that expert stuff. more things you still need to do in some cases.

> * system-config-network
>  - replacement NetworkManager
>  - missing IPv6? routing?

system-config-network has a text user interface. networkmanager is
still lacking a proper way to be configured or used from a terminal as
it is. still required e.g. for system troubleshooting and system
rescue ... e.g. if X doesent start you cant enable or manage your
interfaces properly. most endusers cant handle the textfiles and
therefore wouldnt even be able to configure an interface manually to
get the updates that makes things start again. (not like friends of
mine didnt have those issues before)

> * system-config-date
>  - Gnome/KDE/XFCE have own datetime configuration tool/module, it's confusing
> than
>    which one users should use
>  - used in firstboot or anaconda???

as long as those tool properly configure ntp... in the gnome date
applet i cant find any ntp options.

> * system-config-keyboard
>  - used only in Anaconda, let it be standalone?
>  - very simple tool, Gnome/KDE have better one

system wide config tool yet missing?

> * system-config-httpd
>  - old GTK 1 application, should be ported to GTK 2 & PolicyKit

+1

> * switchdesk and system-switch-tools?
>  - it's possible to switch desktop in GDM/KDM
>  - one tool for switching all alternatives?

atleast the nonui script can still be useful to some degree.

there is another one i have to add:

system-config-cluster:

doesent start since 2 years because of a pam error... maintainer
doesent respond to bugs at all... is pretty buggy.
but doesent have a replacement (ricci is in the true... but lucy still
cant go in because of the zope problem since years now)