GPL Web App containing Proprietary Flash Widget

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:47:47 UTC 2009

Stephan February wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have done extensive reading on the Fedora site regarding packaging,
> and specifically "code vs. content".
> My employer is developing a web-application which will be licensed under
> GPL or similar FSF-approved license. The web application will most
> likely contain a proprietary (non-free) flash charting widget.
> Will our rpm-packaged web application, which will include the flash
> widget be accepted into Fedora repository ?

No.  If you develop the application in such a way that the flash widget
is not needed, we can package the web application only.  having a
separate tarball for the proprietary and GPL code would definitely help
in this instance.  You could see this as a long term benefit as:

1) The charting widget could be replaced with a piece of javascript in
the future (flot + some AJAX calls, for instance).
2) Wider use "minus this one really cool charting plugin" might be
enough for others to work on integrating a non-proprietary charting
widget for you.

-Toshio