Speech recognition

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 22:44:20 UTC 2009

I've had multiple friends & colleagues who have fallen prey to our
occupational hazard of RSI.  Some ten years ago or more, I worked on
integrating IBM's ViaVoice for Linux with XEmacs for the benefit of a
couple of XEmacs developers who were suffering from that problem at
the time.  Unfortunately, IBM dropped support for its Linux product
while I was still working on the integration.

I'm thinking about working on something like that again, but need a
voice recognition product to work with.  I've been looking at CMU
Sphinx [1] as a possibility, and have made test RPMs out of a few
pieces of that project [2,3,4].

Questions for the list:

Is anybody already working on packaging up some voice recognition product?

Does anybody know of anything more accessible than CMU Sphinx (it
appears to be very powerful, but is definitely not for newbies; also,
not all pieces of it have been released yet)?

Is anybody interested in working with me on getting some voice
recognition product packaged up in usable form on Fedora?