missing dep => Permission denied in Koji (was: Re: Need help for a bison error)

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 21:39:52 UTC 2009

2009/3/26 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 01:04:13AM +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 15:22 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> > Please give the task URL, not the file URL.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>> > Um, it's not exactly a bison error.

>> > It's odd that that would be the error for bison just being missing.
>> > But, did you use BuildRequires: bison?
>>
>> /me bangs his head to the wall.
>>
>> Ok, it was missing deps: bison, flex, krb5-devel and openssl-devel.
>
> I was about to jump in and suggest a missing dep.  The same thing
> happened to me yesterday, a "permission denied" error for a missing
> dependency:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=1257805&name=build.log
>
> Why do we get this error for a missing program?  SELinux thing?

This is just a guess but I would imagine execution of programs outside
the build environment is disallowed by permissions. If the path
variable in the build environment for some reason has a component that
points outside the build environment then you could be in a position
where programs that have been Required are in an early part of the
path and therefore just work but when the shell tries to access a
program that doesn't exist it checks each component in the path until
it reaches a component in the path variable that the build environment
doesn't have permissions for and it bails out with permission denied.

Only a guess though. I am sure somebody with more knowledge of the
build system could confirm or provide a more correct answer.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...