F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Mar 27 21:02:59 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
From: Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 03/27/2009 03:58 PM

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
>>  Upstream made a bad decision.
>
> Well, then maybe you should try to convince upstream to put back the
> old default?
>
> note: I'll also miss the combo...

The correct way of handling this would have been to keep the current
default of enabled and Fedora should create an xorg.conf with this
turned on. Anyone who is upgrading won't be affected, just new installs.

I'm positive when F11 is released we will see thread after thread after
thread after thread of people whining about not being able to CTRL+ALT+BKSP.

No. No one reads release notes. You can make them as pretty as you like,
but no one will read them.

I'd suggest filing a bug in Red Hat and X.org about it. If they get
closed then whine on the mailing list some more. This decision really
was not handled well.

P.S. I don't use emacs.