F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 21:46:20 UTC 2009

Adam Miller wrote:
>> This change to default behavior of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is an example of a tiny minority of Emacs users lobbying xorg for a change that will affect a huge number of community and commercial >users including datacenters and their sys admins. This change needs to be reversed immediately. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is embedded now into many tools including all the virtualization tools. It is >part of the DNA of every sys admin. To change this behavior is just insanity.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gerry
>>

> Please stop throwing around the "sys admins will freak out" card, I'm
> a sys admin and we do things correctly through provisioning using
> kickstarts. It will be maybe a 3 line edit to a script. It was an
> upstream choice, Fedora has historically remained compliant with
> upstream so I imagine if you would like a change to be made on this
> topic it would be most effective to discuss it with upstream.
>
> -Adam

I intend to discuss it with upstream.  But this is a huge change to
default behavior for X control that almost NO ONE knows about.  The
default methods of controlling the X server have been around for decades
and many users and sys admins automatically know what the default
behavior is that can be counted on in almost all situations and
therefore this constitutes a big change.  And big changes like this need
to be advertised extensively instead of just quietly slipped in.  I was
hoping that Fedora might take the lead on stopping this bad change.  And
again, yes, I'll take this to upstream as well.

Regards,
Gerry