F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 05:31:29 UTC 2009

Could someone please explain what's going on. The only documentation
in Fedora i see about this decision is in the F11 alpha release notes.
Maybe everyone reads them but me, however it would be nice if these
kind of significant changes were announced.

Its been said that this decision was taken upstream. My initial
Googling shows this first being brought up as an idea in Ubuntu [1]
where it is shown as implemented. It is later shown as a secret poll
on the freedesktop list [2]. Is there any reason the Xorg maintainer
in Fedora didn't make us aware of that all this was going on?

Aren't the release notes expected to be read upon release, when it is
way to late to give input? I don't agree that adding a paragraph or
two in the release notes are good enough for changes that effect
everyone. Xorg seems especially guilty of making significant changes
which are later just discovered by users.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-ctrl-alt-backspace
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-September/038786.html

On 3/27/09, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> said:
>> Better yet, when is it not better to use SysRq keycombos and try to
>> diagnose things?
>> If you can get back keyboard control via SysRq, isn't it more
>> beneficial to make use of SysRq instead of zapping?
>
> Well, that's disabled by default also.
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
>
> --

Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )