F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 09:03:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> said:
>> So whoever wrote those tools confused a configurable keybinding with a
>> supported api.
>
> I don't believe that the Zap function is a configurable keybinding.  It
> can only be triggered by Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
>
> Also, for those recommending Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch to a text console:
> that requires more cooperation from the X server (and functioning
> graphics).  I've had X hose the graphics, be unable to restore a text
> console, but an X restart re-initialized the hardware back to a working
> state.

I've always found it amusing that it takes a more convoluted key
sequence to disconnect a hung ssh session (\n~.) then it does to kill
X, and I've longed for a way to get something similar to the Hayes
attention command delay (is that still patented? :) ) for X
termination.

-Greg (Who has inadvertently killed X more than a few times in ways
totally unrelated to emacs over the years; and whom has not had
working zap for some time due to xmodmap swapping left-ctrl and
capslock apparently breaking it)