preupgrade today: getting error: cannot download the kickstart file

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Mar 29 16:04:38 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, John Reiser <jreiser at BitWagon.com> said:
> For instance, by default yumdownloader generates no record of which mirror
> you get upon HTTP 302 [or 303] redirection from the master mirror.
> In practice you see the ultimate URL only if the connection [attempt]
> actually times out.  This enables the mirror administrator(s) to hide
> from users in most cases of poor service (missing file, stale file,
> slower than necessary, ...)

Maybe yum should be changed to send the end-user's email address, so us
nefarious mirror admins can make downloads "slower than necessary" just
for you.

I spent several hours this weekend getting my mirror ready for F11 Beta
and then trying to catch up on rawhide (which had huge churn after the
beta freeze was released).  I guess I could have gone without sleep and
cut a few hours off the total time; would that have made you happier?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>