F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Mar 29 16:20:21 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Clyde E. Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net> said:
> On 03/28/2009 08:35 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >You are just proving my point that pitching it as community vs
> >maintainers makes absolutely no sense because it is every individual's
> >opinion which is different.
>
> In reading thru this thread I don't see an us vs them.  All I see is a
> community that has strong opinions.  Maintainers should listen to the
> community.  Forget about strong individual opinions--this thread shows
> that there is enough concern that the maintainers should respect that
> concern and at least address it thru the forums or with code.

Yeah, I haven't seen many people that really wanted this change.

If the Fedora maintainer doesn't want to override this (mostly poorly
received) upstream decision, please at least follow the suggestion made
here to make two changes:

- re-enable DontZap by default
- unbind the Terminate_Server keysym from Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

This makes it easier for end-users to re-enable the old behavior (on a
per-user basis instead of per-system basis even).

This brings up another thought though: is there a more up-to-date
keyboard mapping editor than xkeycaps (e.g. something integrated into
GNOME and KDE)?  I guess this specific binding could be added to the
GNOME keyboard layout options or keyboard shortcuts screens (I assume
there's something similar in KDE).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>