F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 29 16:33:50 UTC 2009

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

> One example: get an (not so) old ASUS box with SIS video and LG 710E
> monitor. X won't be OK until you get able to:
>
> 1) Download system-config-display
> 2) Figure out that monitor frequencies are not correct (even when you
> choose it at system-config-display) and fix it by hand at the created
> xorg.conf ...

Did you file a bug report?

> At this point many newbie users coming from other distributions (not to
> mention Windows people) will go back to lands they know better.

Other distributions are using the same Xorg. There is nothing magical
that is going to fix these issues in other distributions. Fedora is ill
suited for Windows users since they would expect patent encumbered and
proprietary software we don't provide anyway but any regular users
(regardless of whether they were Windows users before) would want things
to work rather than manually configure it by hand. In cases where it
doesn't work, just file a bug report.

Rahul